The Duke Energy Foundation, the Park Foundation, and the Generation Foundation are providing scholarships to qualifying smaller enterprises that want to pursue Green Plus education, networking, and certification in 2012 – 2013. The standard price for Green Plus is $550. Scholarships from these sponsors will make the program free to participants for a two-year period.
In North Carolina, a number of small business scholarships are available to smaller enterprises (fewer than 500 employees)
- In Duke Energy’s North Carolina service area
- In economically challenged North Carolina communities (urban or rural) through the Park Foundation
In Ohio, the Institute has a number of scholarships available for small businesses in economically challenged communities in the City of Cleveland and in Cleveland’s inner ring suburbs.
To apply for a Green Plus scholarship, fill out the Green Plus Scholarship Application.
- Staff will confirm your company’s eligibility and be in touch with instructions and next steps within 5 business days.
- Scholarship recipients are asked to fill out and submit the initial Green Plus Diagnostic Tool within 30 days of receiving scholarship notification.
About The Program
Green Plus is the only national program dedicated to helping smaller and medium-sized enterprises achieve triple bottom line sustainability. Created in North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park, Green Plus is used by businesses in 15 states, and is the lead sustainability program of the American Chamber of Commerce Executives, comprising 1,400 chambers of commerce representing 4 million businesses.
- Green Plus participants receive a introductory interview about their goals before moving on to a diagnostic that helps them examine their business, environmental, employee, and community practices.
- Upon completing the Green Plus diagnostic, participants receive a road map to improving their operations, coaching from area graduate students, and gain access to a regional and national network of Green Plus businesses for advice and commerce.
- Businesses earning exceptional scores over time may qualify for Green Plus Certification, a nationally recognized seal of sustainable business.
About The Institute for Sustainable Development
“Our mission is to democratize sustainability,” said Chris Carmody, Executive Director of the Institute for Sustainable Development, which runs the Green Plus program. “The support of the Duke Energy, Generation, and Park Foundations, and of the Chapel Hill – Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, will allow us to serve a substantial number of smaller enterprises that can benefit from sustainability but might not have the means to enroll in Green Plus,” Carmody continued.