Abigail Seymour Photography, a finalist in the Green Plus Sole Proprietor / Home Based Business category, is also eligible to win the Green Plus People’s Choice Award.
In Her Own Words
“I’m not sure if it was the footage of oil spewing out of the pipes in the Gulf of Mexico or the article I read on chemicals and cancer (scary, trust me), but somewhere along the line I recently hit a tipping point. Over the past six years I had seen enough trash cans at weddings spilling over with paper goods headed to the landfill, tubs of food being thrown away, and had put thousands of miles on my car driving to faraway destinations. I was trying to practice eco-conscious choices in my personal life, so it was time to add them to the way I run my business. Many of the things we were already doing, but as I began to read more and learn more about changes we could make, the ripple has moved outward.
Here are a few ways that we are creating a sustainable, eco-friendly business and life:
- we use only rechargeable batteries
- we use CFL compact flourescent light bulbs (even though I don’t like the way they look!)
- all contracts are executed electronically
- we print in-office documents as little as possible, and what paper we do use is recycled and printed on both sides
- we compost our kitchen waste and have a garden
- we work out of a home office, which saves energy (and time), and means that my daily commute is 14 steps from my kitchen
- we carpool whenever possible
- I no longer book weddings that will be taking place beyond a 60-mile radius from my home — it saves gas and my sanity, and encourages couples to shop locally.
- we provide the digital files and an online gallery instead of paper proofs
- when we create wedding albums, we use the most highly-regarded eco-conscious printer in the industry
- we buy carbon energy credits through carbonfund.org to offset our footprint
- we encourage our clients to use other vendors who share the same philosophy (see list below)
Some recommended venues for planning your green wedding:
Want to learn more about planning a green wedding? Check out:
The Green Bride Guide
We are proud to be a Premier member of Greener Photography, a pioneering organization founded by two of our colleagues working to educate otherprofessionals on ways to be more eco-conscious.”
- Greener Photography Certification
The Institute for Sustainable Development / Green Plus