Pharamaceutical Calibration Services (PCI), a finalist for the Wells Fargo / Wachovia Green Plus Sustainable Small Business of the Year Award, is also eligible to win the Green Plus People’s Choice Award.
In 2010, the Triangle Business Journal (TBJ) recognized PCI in large part due to the extraordinary efforts practiced by management:
- PCI was recognized as one of the Triangle Business Journal’s Fast 50 companies
- Andy Ferrell was cited as one of the Triangle Business Journal?s top 50 Presidents of the year
- PCI’s Controller, C. David Young, was also cited as one of the TBJ’s top 50 CFOs of the year.
In tackling the People aspect of the triple bottom line, PCI has taken the following steps to support its community:
- PCI partners with American Heart Association (AHA), hosts an annual charitable golf tournament, and collected/donated $8,800 in 2010.
- AHA presented a Heart-Healthy seminar to PCI employees to kick off the partnership.
- PCI employees volunteer twice a year at The Healing Place, assisting with building-improvement projects they would likely not be able to tackle themselves.
- PCI participates in the annual Toys-for-Tots campaign, the MS Walk, and the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure.
- After losing an employee to a heart attack in 2010, PCI sponsored a CPR class onsite for all associates.
PCI has taken the steps below to address the Planet aspect of its triple bottom line:
- Shift to a paperless environment through computerized systems: HRIS, e-training tracking program, online timesheets, e-marketing software, and an extensive e- calibration tracking program
- Natural setting near Umstead Park for the Raleigh office, allowing running and walking during breaks and lunch, a basketball net, and picnic tables encouraging breaks and lunch outside
- Emphasis on Green purchases and the use of a Green cleaning company
- “Think Green” email signature encouraging recipients not to print the email
- Conversion to motion-sensor light fixtures in common areas
- Company-wide recycling program
- Reuse program for shipping (boxes and packing materials).”
- Certified Green Plus
The Institute for Sustainable Development